Saturday, October 1, 2011

The called doing Great things.

I woke early to day with no alarm.  My first thoughts were that God really wants me at my 7:30 Bible study since he woke me so early.  (Last night I was so tired I said to God, "I'm not setting an alarm.  If you want me at the study, you will need to wake me up.")  It's 4:53 am right now.  I've been up for approximately an hour.

So I think about what to do with the next 3 hours.  I could go online and surf, I could start my laundry while eating breakfast or I could do my devotions and blog.  You are reading this so, you know the path chosen.

Act 4:13 NIV  was the passages used by Dr Charles Stanley today.
13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

Putting this verse into context, Peter had just healed a lame beggar in chapter 3.  The religious leaders had put Peter and John in jail over night and the next day made them give an account of how this had been accomplished and by whose authority.  Read Peter's defense. Acts 4:8-12 NIV

8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: “Rulers and elders of the people! 9 If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a man who was lame and are being asked how he was healed,10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 Jesus is
   “‘the stone you builders rejected,
   which has become the cornerstone.’
 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”


This is a far cry from the Peter we see in Luke 22:54-60 who denied Christ when a little girl realized he had been with Jesus.

Peter was an unschooled fisherman who had been with Jesus.  When he submitted to Christ and the leadership of the Holy Spirit he was emboldened to do great things.  I will close with the challenge posed by Dr Stanley today.

"Have you ever considered that your lack of ability, talent, or skill is the ideal setting for a great display of Christ's power and glory? If you are willing to submit to His leading and venture into the scary yet rewarding territory of faith and obedience, He will do great things in and through you." 

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment