Saturday, October 22, 2011

Verses in context.

Ephesians 4:32 was a memory verse of mine as a child.  I still remember it, though my memory is in the KJV "Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving another, even as God for Christ's sake has forgiven you." I've been carrying this verse since 2nd grade though I have to admit I have had little success in applying  it.  I know that just plain stubborn unforgiveness, pride and arrogance is part of the problem.  I want what I want sometimes and I don't care who I hurt.  But another reason I believe is I've only has a portion of the instruction.

Ephesians 4:29-32 NIV 29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Vs 29.  There was a time in my life the I took pride in my foul mouth.  I could take any statement and twist it into a dirty joke.  Praise God he has given me victory over that.  However I still need work on building people up.  I still enjoy the "cut down" joke.

Vs. 30.  Here is the motivation for these commands.  We are not to grieve the Holy Spirit.  As a parent are you going to stand still while another person verbally or physically abuses your child?  Of course not.  When we deal with other Christians we need to remember that they too are a child of God.  When the world sees how much we love each other, they will want to be part of us. 

Vs. 31.  Do you have some baggage you need to leave at the cross?  How can one be kind if they are angry?  How can one be tender if they're bitter?  How can one expect to forgive they're always in a rage?  Notice this is something we are told to do ourselves.  Yes, you do need to pray.  Yes there will be days you will struggle.  However this is something we are told to do.  We're to put it away.  Even as I type these words, I am thinking of bitterness and anger that I still harbor.

Vs.32.  Now we can get to the place where we can be kind, compassionate, tenderhearted and forgiving.

I have some work to do with the Holy Spirit when I close this blog today.  How about you?

I also want to encourage you to memorizes scripture, but I intend to memorize entire sections so the entire point is there and not just one point out of context.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment