Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Our advocate, the Spirit of truth.

Sunday I blogged on Flesh vs Spirit.  Today's verses also speak of the Holy Spirit.

John 14:16-17 NIV
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

This is Jesus speaking.  He asked the father to give us the Spirit of truth.  Therefore the Holy Spirit is a gift from God himself.
  
Also take note that His Spirit is truth.  So anything you receive from the Spirit is true, can be trusted and must be followed.

The head of the Trinity is giving only believers direct access to His Spirit. The world does not share in this gift.

We can know this Spirit because he lives within us and as stated in verse 16 will not leave us.

One of the things I struggle with now that I am heading for divorce against my will, is loneliness.  I get to see my kids often, but it is not the same because I don't get to hear them around the house.  I miss them terribly.  I also miss my wife.  For 22 years she has been my best friend.  For almost 16 she has been my bride and my lover.  Those are holes in my heart that hurt.

The KJV translates the word advocate as comforter.  The Holy Spirit, who lives inside me and knows me better than I know myself, can comfort me in this loss if I walk in him and allow him to work.

Dear God, I want to trust you, but my flesh wants to be fed.  I know in my head that your word is true and ask that you help me apply this knowledge to my heart.  I want to walk in your Spirit as you guide me through this trial.

If any believer reading this has an empty space in their heart from loss or just the pain of life, I encourage you to join me in trusting in the Holy Spirit.

If you have never received Christ, I urge you to call out to Him today.  It does not have to be elaborate.  Admit you are a sinner.  Accept Christ's payment for your sin.  Receive the promised Spirit and start trusting him today.  If you do this please send a comment and let me know.  I would love to pray for you and contact each other off blog.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment