Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Earthly or Heavenly?

I come down to breakfast and once again my landlord has his Bible out and open on the table.  This time it is open to Colossians 3.  I smile to myself because the last time Bob left his Bible open God met me at breakfast.  I did not want to get too excited because I was "sure" it would not happen again.  Wrong!

I encourage you to read the whole chapter.  For the sake of time I will only be focusing on vs 1-4 NIV
1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

As I read this words I was convicted.  Yes I take time for God every day, but there is the problem.  The things of God should BE my day.  Every action, deed, thought and plan should be steeped in God.

Verse three says that "I" have died.  Having been to many funerals, I've never once seen a corpse start gathering their possessions to take with them.  A corpse does not worry about things.  Everything that was important to them on earth is no longer a concern because they are dead.

My life is hidden in Christ.  One day I will be with him in Glory and the concerns of this earth will be trivial.

Later, when I took the time to open my email devotional from Dr Stanley he discussed the story of Lazarus and the Rich man.  This statements really caught my attention.
" It is important to realize that this man wasn’t judged harshly by God because of his wealth. The heavenly Father is not opposed to our success. Nor was the man separated from the Lord because of his lack of charity toward others. He did not deliberately harm others but, rather, overlooked those in need and focused on himself.
The rich man’s mistake was that he prepared everything for the body but nothing for the soul. Our culture practices a similar style of living. Acquiring material riches and satisfying self is the primary pursuit of many in our world." -Dr Charles Stanley 
I got the same basic message from two separate sources, yet it is my conviction there is only ONE source and that is the Holy Spirit.

So I pause this morning and search my heart.  What are my goals?  Where am I going?  Are the things of earth or the things of heaven my pursuit?

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment