Thursday, September 29, 2011

Active not passive.

Proverbs 2:1-6
1 My son, if you accept my words
   and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom
   and applying your heart to understanding—
3 indeed, if you call out for insight
   and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and if you look for it as for silver
   and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
   and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
   from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.


I'm struck by the active words used in these verses.  In vs1 store, vs2 turning and applying, vs3 call out and cry aloud and in vs4 look and search.  This does not imply passivity in following God.  We are to actively pursue these things.

Verse 5 has the promised results being the understanding of the fear of the LORD.  This is not a irrational fear, but a true and proper fear of who God really is.  I believe that it's only at this point that we can truly appreciate God's wisdom.

I am reminded of a game where you are given a clue to a location.  When you get there you find another clue to another location.  This goes on till you reach the destination intended by the game designer.

I am not implying that God is playing games with us.  I am saying that God has given us his Word.  If we don't bother to read it and follow it, why would God bother to give us more?  We need to use what God has provided and obey the instructions already given.  Then God will open the treasuries of heaven for us.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment