Thursday, October 27, 2011

Worldly wealth, anxiety and security in God.

I was chatting with a friend on Facebook this morning and they shared with me some verses that struck a chord with me right down to my soul.  I was thinking, "I just received my blog today."  When I did my morning devotional it too struck a cord.  I was not sure which to blog about.  Then I realized they each built on one another.

Today's devotions was in Luke 12:16-21.  Jesus was telling the parable of the rich man who's crops were so abundant that he torn down his barns and built bigger ones.  The then said I have food for years to come I will just sit back and relax.  That night he died and all his wealth went to others.

This parable does not mean we don't have 401k or some other retirement in place.  It does not mean we don't put away something for our future.  It's talking about where are you placing your trust.  This man was not rich toward God and it cost him his life.

This ties in with what my friend shared.  Philippians 4:6 NIV  6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Are you anxious about your future?  Where will you live?  How will you pay for the things you "need"?  Be thankful to God for what you have, pray to him for what you need and as the very next verse in this chapter says, And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 18:1-2 NIV

1 I love you, LORD, my strength.
 2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
   my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
   my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.


Meditate on these verses.  Let you heart listen to what they are saying.  Do we really need to store up huge excess for our future?  Do we really need to worry?  God is in control.  He will guide us.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment