Sunday, October 9, 2011

Flesh vs Spirit

Yesterday's study was a familiar passage to me in Galatians 5:16-26.  So familiar that I thought "This again?".   It was at then that the Holy Spirit convicted me of what I'd been doing for two days and I though, "Well, I just haven't learned the lesson yet."

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.


I have come to realize how quickly I start to walk in the flesh.  It starts the moment I take my eyes off the Lord.  I moment I decide that "I can handle this" I begin to walk in my flesh and I am subject to all my lusts and desires.


19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.


Sadly too many of the things about are still occasionally part of my life.  No, they are not my life style and I quickly confess my sin and I am forgiven.  I have experienced actual distaste and actual aversion of these actions only to take my eye of Christ and soon find myself once again involved.


22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


I used to beat myself up that these are not always part of my life.  I have since learned that my sanctification is a slow process that will not end till I am in heaven and Christ completes it.  One does not plant an apple tree and get apple the next day, week or even year.  When we planted saplings in our yard we were told not to expect fruit for 5 YEARS.  Fruit takes time.  And don't forget, this is grown in us by the Spirit.  It is not something we do.  So keep praying, reading you Bible and applying what  you know.  The Spirit will grow these in you life in his time.


  24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.


If something is crucified it is dead.  Dead things cannot harm or control us.  Let's chose right now to live by the Spirit.  Confess any sin standing between you and God. Thank God and praise him for the forgiveness he provides through Christ Jesus.  Worship Him today because he is worthy regardless of how you feel.


God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment