Friday, October 28, 2011

Christ's call to believers

When I opened my devotional today and saw the title "Understanding Your Call" my heart jumped inside.  With the divorce happening and the fact that I'm losing my job this Monday, I'm in a tailspin emotionally and just not sure which end is up and where God wants me to go.  I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting but the verses were not it.  However, they were what I needed to hear.

Mark 8:34-35 NIV  34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.

Deny myself.  I've lost my home and many things that I valued when we separated.  A large part of me wants to reacquire as much as I can. However God has shown me that I don't need it and replacing it will cost much more than I have right now.

Pick up my cross.  I need to die to self like I discussed this past Wed.  My constant need to win has to go.  My need to make sure things go my way has to go.  My constant desire to get what I want NOW has to go.  Dead people do not get their way once they are dead.

Follow Christ.  What was it that Jesus did?  He obeyed his Father's will all the way to death.  He did not live for himself in anything that he did.  It was all for the glory of his father.  I too need to submit to God's will.

For years I tried to control every aspect of my life and of the people around me.  I've lost so much because of it.  Time to surrender...again.

You see the Christian life is a journey.  We will never arrive at perfection till we stand before Christ and he makes up perfect.  In the meantime we continue to surrender bit by bit as the Holy Spirit makes things he wants removed clear.

God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. My brother & friend. I have indeed felt similar to what you're feeling now. It's no fun at all, but in despite of the life crushing events that you're going through. There is another way you can view what God had showed you today. You have time and the opportunity to hear and Understanding Your Calling. Whatever your vocation is, and despite of you situation. There is very little that may hinder you from spreading your wings and taking off. May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back,
    May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields and, Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

    ReplyDelete