Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Remain calm. Don't allow others to provoke you.

When Paul was being falsely accused in front of Festus he remained calm. Acts 24:1-16  He did not lash out at his accusers.  His rational behavior allowed him to share his faith not only with Festus, but eventually King Agrippa and then on to Rome itself.

I have seen this in my life.  It's no secret that my older sister and I rarely got along.  Why?  Because I let her provoke me and I too would dish out a goodly portion of misery myself.  I won't say that she was always purposely attacking, but some of her actions would make me mad and I would blow up and attack.

One weekend Cheryl came home and I decided that no mater what I would remain calm.  It worked. All those feeling of annoyance never came.  Then a couple years later she stayed at my home.  Again I made the decision to love my sister.  It was a wonderful weekend.  I praise God that he taught me to remain calm.  I actually enjoy her company and she is the same person.  Only I have changed.

Then there is the negative side.  I won't mention the loved one because the relationship is still fractured.  I am still working on it.  However my lack of calmness has destroyed the intimacy and broken their spirit.  They no longer trust my intent and don't really believe I have changed.  I don't blame them, trust once broken takes time to repair.  Sometimes it never comes back.

I want to implore you to remain calm if attacked.  Even if it is legitimate.  Losing your calm and attacking back is not the way.

Be silent and pray for guidance and wisdom.  Ask the Holy Spirit to help you chose your words.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment