Friday, August 19, 2011

Complete obedience.

So I am driving to work this am and I am praying for a loved one.  They making some really bad decisions that are hurting lots of people and they seem quite proud of they're sin.  As I'm praying "God please break their heart so they realize what they are doing is wrong.", I look down at my speedometer.  Too fast.  So now I start argue with God about my speed.

I did not think of a specific verse, but I soon realized that I cannot effectively pray for God to convict another if I am ignoring the conviction of the Holy Spirit.  I dropped my speed and continued to pray. It was only as I was typing this blog that  "the prayer of a righteous man availeth much" came to my mind.  Now that is the KJV the I remember growing up.  It took a few moments with the search engine, but the verse is found in James 5:16

16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. (NIV)

I was not righteous, therefore my prayer was not going to be effective.

All that was to lead into this morning's devotional.  It was in Genesis 6:9-22, Genesis 7:24, Genesis 8:14-19.  A familiar story to me about Noah.  What Dr Stanley pointed out today was Noah's complete obedience.  Noah did exactly what God told him to do.

"The Lord wants us to follow His instructions precisely. Unfortunately, we like to add some of our desires to His plan. We are like a child whose parent assigns three chores. The first is done satisfactorily, the second is put off until another day, and the third is skipped because the girl deems it unnecessary. This is not obedience." -Dr Charles Stanley

As we go about our day, we must be aware of that nudge from the Holy Spirit.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment