Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Anger. The emotion that works for everything. NOT!

I sent an email to a dear friend this morning.  I woke remembering a time that I used anger as a way to express and cope with a perceived rejection by them.  As I analysed my actions I realize I have a life pattern of anger.

Frustrated because some electronics are not working?  Get angry.
Hurt by a loved one? Get angry.
Lost?  Get angry.
Get disrespected?  Get angry.
Driving behind a slowpoke.  Get angry.

The more I think about it my anger at times has been so bad I have scared my family.

All these things going through my head and God providentially has Colossians 3:12-14 as today's devotional.

12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

No where does it say be angry.  In fact it tells me to be the very opposite of angry.  It tells me to forgive as the Lord forgave me.  I've "forgiven", but I still bring up the list of wrongs when it suits me.  That is not true forgiveness.  We are not God so we cannot forget.  However we can pray and God will wash away the hurt.  I know because he has done it for me in the areas I have submitted to him.

Let go. When you hold a grudge the only one you hurt is you.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment