Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Psalm 119

Listening to the Psalms again this morning and was struck by the constant use of the words law, word, precepts, promises, commands, statutes and decrees.  Upon looking it I discovered only verses 1, 3, 6, 49, 84, 90, 121, 122 and 132 do not contain one of these words.  That's only 9 verses out of 176.  The writer of this Psalm really had a love for God's word.  I encourage you to take some time to read it today.  Psalm 119 NIV

Some verses that stood out for me.

97 Oh, how I love your law! 
   I meditate on it all day long.
98 Your commands are always with me
   and make me wiser than my enemies.
99 I have more insight than all my teachers,
   for I meditate on your statutes.
100 I have more understanding than the elders,
   for I obey your precepts.
101 I have kept my feet from every evil path
   so that I might obey your word.
102 I have not departed from your laws,
   for you yourself have taught me.
103 How sweet are your words to my taste,
   sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 I gain understanding from your precepts;
   therefore I hate every wrong path.


The writer had more insight and understanding than those who were leaders because he chose to dedicate himself to studying God's word.

I especially like the fact that God's word was sweet to him.  I find that when I study the word I only want more.  When I neglect the word, it is bitter to me because I am in sin and don't want to be convicted.

I also find that when I am in the word and gain understanding of God's precept that I too hate the wrong path.  Sin that was appetizing before has become something I hate.

140 Your promises have been thoroughly tested,
   and your servant loves them.


God promises us so much yet we so often don't trust him.  We miss out on so many blessings because we think we know better.

143 Trouble and distress have come upon me,
   but your commands give me delight.


This blog has been of great comfort to me.  In this time of pain and separation caused by the pending divorce I turn to God.  I find comfort in scripture.

153 Look on my suffering and deliver me,
   for I have not forgotten your law.
154 Defend my cause and redeem me;
   preserve my life according to your promise. 


Sometimes we just have to wait for God to deliver us.  Last night I was watching Prince Caspian from the Chronicles of Narnia.  Peter was preparing for battle and Lucy rebuked Peter saying, "I don't think you remember who really defeated the White Witch."  His response, "I think we've waited long enough for Aslan".  For those that don't know Aslan represent Jesus.  Peter decided he could do it himself and did not need to wait.  The battle was ugly.

On Sept 8th I'd waited "long enough" for Christ to restore my marriage.  I moved on in my arrogance and only ended up causing more pain and the Holy Spirit had to chastise me.  I will wait for God's timing now.  I will never again close the door for reconciliation.  I learned that I still love my wife and I always will.

164 Seven times a day I praise you
   for your righteous laws.


This was convicting.  I don't praise Him enough for Scripture and His guidance.

I hope you take the time to read this Psalm.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment