Friday, September 16, 2011

Truth.

I got an email this morning.  The content was heavy and I was humbled that the sender would open up that much to me.  Gut reaction was to reassure and not say anything that may upset the delicate balance to our relationship.

I refused and I told the truth as we should.  What a joyous response I received and now I know this person wants a deeper friendship.

John 8:31-31 NIV 31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Now Jesus was taking about the truth of who he was and these verses are dealing with Salvation.  However I want to apply the truth setting us free to my situation.

I told the whole truth and the person responded positively.  We've entered into a deeper level of respect and trust.  I am now free to be open and honest.  And this person knows I can be trusted to not lie to them.

But what if this person got mad?  What if they rejected my statements and never spoke to me again?  I'd STILL be free.  Why?  Because that relationship is not one I'd wish to pursue.  Yes I would apply Ephesians 4:3 and "Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.", but I don't change who I am in that effort.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment