Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tremble at His Word

Isaiah 66:1-2 NIV
1 This is what the LORD says:
   “Heaven is my throne,
   and the earth is my footstool.
Where is the house you will build for me?
   Where will my resting place be?
2 Has not my hand made all these things,
   and so they came into being?”
            declares the LORD.
   “These are the ones I look on with favor:
   those who are humble and contrite in spirit,
   and who tremble at my word.


I am typing this on my LaZboy so when I read vs 1 I picture God with his feet up using earth as His hassock.

Frustration comes when I read God's questions.  What can I really give God.  He made everything.  My time here on earth is so short so I really don't own anything to give Him.

But the thing that REALLY struck me today was the second have of verse 2.  God does not want my stuff.  He wants me humble and contrite.  I had to look up contrite because though I thought I had a grasp on the meaning of the word, I could no put it into words.  Turns out I did NOT understand the word.

contrite [kənˈtraɪt ˈkɒntraɪt]
adj
1. full of guilt or regret; remorseful
2. arising from a sense of shame or guilt contrite promises
3. (Christian Religious Writings / Theology) Theol remorseful for past sin and resolved to avoid future sin
[from Latin contrītus worn out, from conterere to bruise, from terere to grind]
contritely  adv
contriteness  n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003


I have the guilt, regret and shame down, but the resolve to avoid future sin not so much.  There are still areas in my life that I have not surrendered to God.

Trembling at His word.  Because of the above prideful attitude I am convicted that I willfully chose to ignore certain commands and decrees in God's word.  I've been calloused against the awe and fear of the Lord.  Time to deal with that.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment