Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Scripture for comfort

Last night I received some upsetting news.  I prayed with those that were hurt, but I was worked up and did not think I would sleep.  I asked my landlady to pray for me.  She told me to read my Bible.

I was shocked.  Turning to scripture was not even on my list of things to do.  My pattern has always been to pray and ask others to pray...then worry myself sick over the issue.

So I grabbed my Bible and the first thought was Psalms 37 because that is a powerhouse of a passage.  Then I remembered I'm listening to Proverbs on my Ipod.  Before long I had to open Biblegateway so I could cut and paste the verses our God was providing.  I share them with you below without commentary.
Proverbs NIV

 18: 10 The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; 
   the righteous run to it and are safe.
 19: 21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart, 
   but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.
20: 22 Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” 
   Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.
21:
1 The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD; 
   he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.
2 All a man’s ways seem right to him, 
   but the LORD weighs the heart.
3 To do what is right and just 
   is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.
15 When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous 
   but terror to evildoers.
16 A man who strays from the path of understanding 
   comes to rest in the company of the dead.
25 The sluggard’s craving will be the death of him, 
   because his hands refuse to work. 
26 All day long he craves for more, 
   but the righteous give without sparing.
30 There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan 
   that can succeed against the LORD.
31 The horse is made ready for the day of battle, 
   but victory rests with the LORD.
23:
4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; 
   have the wisdom to show restraint. 
5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, 
   for they will surely sprout wings 
   and fly off to the sky like an eagle.
9 Do not speak to a fool, 
   for he will scorn the wisdom of your words.

24:
29 Do not say, “I’ll do to him as he has done to me; 
   I’ll pay that man back for what he did.”
33 A little sleep, a little slumber, 
   a little folding of the hands to rest— 
34 and poverty will come on you like a bandit 
   and scarcity like an armed man.
25:
7b What you have seen with your eyes 
 8 do not bring hastily to court, 
for what will you do in the end 
   if your neighbor puts you to shame?
16 If you find honey, eat just enough— 
   too much of it, and you will vomit.  
28 Like a city whose walls are broken down 
   is a man who lacks self-control.
26:
11 As a dog returns to its vomit, 
   so a fool repeats his folly.
18 Like a madman shooting 
   firebrands or deadly arrows 
19 is a man who deceives his neighbor 
   and says, “I was only joking!”
27:
14 If a man loudly blesses his neighbor early in the morning, 
   it will be taken as a curse.  
28:13 He who conceals his sins does not prosper, 
   but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
29:
1 A man who remains stiff-necked after many rebukes 
   will suddenly be destroyed—without remedy.
6 An evil man is snared by his own sin, 
   but a righteous one can sing and be glad.
22 An angry man stirs up dissension, 
   and a hot-tempered one commits many sins.
25 Fear of man will prove to be a snare, 
   but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.
26 Many seek an audience with a ruler, 
   but it is from the LORD that man gets justice.
30:
20 “This is the way of an adulteress: 
   She eats and wipes her mouth 
   and says, ‘I’ve done nothing wrong.’
32 “If you have played the fool and exalted yourself, 
   or if you have planned evil, 
   clap your hand over your mouth! 
33 For as churning the milk produces butter, 
   and as twisting the nose produces blood, 
   so stirring up anger produces strife.”
31:
2 “O my son, O son of my womb, 
   O son of my vows, 
3 do not spend your strength on women, 
   your vigor on those who ruin kings.

This morning's devotional was in Ephesians 3:19-21, but I've added more verses for context. Ephesians 3:16-21
6 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.


This is a prayer prayed over 2000 years ago, yet it is still being answered today.  I've been a Christian for 32 years and still just starting to grasp the length, breadth, height and depth of Christ's love.  

His love surpasses knowledge.  That means I will NEVER understand it.

If God is all powerful and he is everywhere and he knows everything, how full is the "fullness of God"?  And just as important a question, how does one measure it?

God can do more than we can imagine.  

These truth need to be meditated on the next time I fear my situation and start to "take control"

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment