Thursday, November 17, 2011

God's Grace is sufficient.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 NIV
7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me,“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

One of the disservices of the chapters and verses in our Bibles is that sometimes the verse breaks up a sentence or thought. Please note the chapter/ verse divisions are not inspired by God.  At one point man put those in to help us find portions of scripture quickly.  So when I see a passage of scripture that has a broken sentence I treat it like a "therefore" and I go back to find the context of the passage.  Here the apostle Paul had just spoken of the time he "was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell."

Paul had a thorn in the flesh.  Some church scholars believe it was poor eyesight because of Paul's reference to "large letters" in Galatians 6:11 NIV.  Truth is, we don't know.  God in his wisdom did not reveal the thorn in scripture.  However the principle is there for us to learn from.  The thorn kept Paul humble so he had to rely on GRACE.

I think of my struggles right now.  Jobless and can't afford to pay to house mortgage or feed my kids when they come here for Sunday.  I'm still in the midst of a divorce that I do not want.  Yet I hear the Lord say, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I know that I have a roof over my head, a warm place to sleep,  I have a little food in the fridge of my landlords, some gas in my car, a place to shower....  I could go on.

Most important I have God's word to turn to and I have have the Holy Spirit to guide me.  God's grace has  gotten me this far.  I will keep trusting Him.

God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for bearing your soul here. I'm sure I'm not the only one blessed. Will be praying for you and your family, Pete.

    ReplyDelete