Monday, July 18, 2011

Psalm 63

Reading Psalm 63. Very humbled this morning.

Psalm 63

1 You, God, are my God,
earnestly I seek you;

Am I really earnest in seeking God? I remember searching for the right firearms to compete in the game Cowboy Action Shooting. I read every article. I searched forum after forum. I drank in every detail that I could find about the sport. Which pistols are both quality and inexpensive? Where can I find a rifle in the same caliber as my pistols? Pump shotgun or lever or SxS? How authentic do I want to make my cowboy costume? I poured over these details daily for years until my interest had run it's course and I gave up on the sport because it no longer satisfied me. Yet the things of God, (that do satisfy), I give 3 hours on Sunday and maybe 3 hours through out the week. With that small of a commitment can I really say I am earnestly seeking God?

I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water.

I've been thirsty before. But never a thirst in the desert like David the author discusses here. But even with my limited thirst I understand that I do not seek God with a needy desire. I am grateful that this blog has begun to INCREASE my thirst for him, but it is not yet to the level it should be.

2 I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.

I don't feel David actually "saw" the Lord in a literal sense. I believe he was able to worship in such a way that he ignored everything else. That is my goal in church. I want to forget those around me and focus completely on Christ.

3 Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you.

I am reminded of Nate Saint, Jim Elliot, Ed McCully, Pete Fleming, and Roger Youderian that gave their lives because of their love for Christ. And even knowing the out come , I still struggle with giving up my life. I have "beheld your power and glory" and yet still struggle.

4 I will praise you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.

Praising God has gotten easier since I realized how much he deserves it even though I do not feel like it. I have also taken to heart that God loved me even when I was a sinner. (Romans 5:7-9) I cannot earn his acceptance. (Isaiah 64:4) Therefore when given opportunity to praise Him, I should praise Him. If sin is holding me back then I confess and then praise Him.(1 John 1:9)


5 I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods;
with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

Any one who knows me knows how much I love food. I'm actually headed back to the gym because tying my shoes has become an ordeal. The riches foods here reminds me of a cake my cousin brought to a family gathering. I cut myself a "normal" piece. After only a few bites I had to cut my piece in half and share. It was so rich that I could not finish it all. I was satisfied.

Music is such a part of my life and God has used music to bring me back to him and to keep me on the right path. I am constantly singing. I will continue. It's nice to be encouraged that I am doing something right.

6 On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.

What a great idea, to end the day with the Lord. Though very few of us will need to do a night watch and stand guard, we all have those times when we are alone and to remember the Lord and that He is always with us.

7 Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.

We owned ducks growing up. At one time the two mothers had 18 ducklings. I remember seeing them all under mom and under her wings. There was safety there. We too are safe in the Lords care.

8 I cling to you;
your right hand upholds me.

Ever see a kid hide behind mom or dad's leg? If the "threat" comes too close, they will actually hold on for dear life and cry out. My baby girl wants to hold my hand every time we're out someplace. There is safety and affection shown in that.

Also note the use of the "right hand". In time this was written the right had was reserved as a place of honor. David says the Lord upheld him in a place of honor.

We too need to cling to God and know that he holds us in a place of honor too as well.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment