Friday, July 15, 2011

How big is your God?

My title reminds of the childhood song.
My God is so big, so strong and so mighty.
There's nothing my God cannot do.

Yet when we become adults we tend to forget that fact. I mean God only created the universe and EVERYTHING in it. (Genesis 1) What could he possibly know about my problems? [/sarcasm]

The verses I read this morning are familiar to me. The hard part is taking them to heart and actually applying the principal. Isaiah 55:8-9
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

How many things go "wrong" in our lives and we question God? Questioning him is actually good. Asking him for help in your trials is good. Yesterday I spoke of crying out to him. Showing our dependence is a good thing.

What I'm taking about is our perception of God. I've read recently that American's have tried to shove Jesus in the American dream. "Dear God, I'm going to college so I can get a $110,000/ year job. I going to buy a 4000 sq ft home with a three car garage so I have one bay for my boat. It's going to be in the nicest part of whatever state I chose. I'm going to marry and have 2 children. A boy and a girl. In Jesus name Amen."

When these dreams don't come true we question him. Or let's say God allows this to come true and then a tornado, hurricane or flood come and wipe it all out. How big is your God then?

As a man who's made some mistakes that have resulted in my dreams being shattered I have to ask myself, how big is my God? He not only understands why this has happened, but he knows what his plan for me is next week, next month, next year and next decade should he tarry.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment