Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Only God can Truly Satisfy

Stones Throw Church has a sermon on the book of James.  18 Ways to Ruin Everything.  I have been listening to it on my iPod.  Today's passage was James 4:1-6

1 What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? 2You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. 3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
 4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us6 But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
   “God opposes the proud
   but shows favor to the humble.”

As I'm listening I smile inside because once again my omnipotent and omniscient God has given me what I need, when I needed it.  Pastor Dan Betters put this message together weeks if not months ago.  I've had this series on my iPod for more than a month.  I just discovered today that I'd "accidentally" skipped 3 messages so I went back to this message.  There are no accidents with God.

I am convicted of why I fight and argue.  I still, even as I write this blog, fight to get thing "my way".  I had to fight the urge to spend money yesterday on something I "want" but don't "need".  I never even considered God in the purchase.  I am convicted of my actions to be friends with the world.  To be accepted by my "friends" I often compromise or out right break my convictions and go with the crowd.  I am also very encouraged that God has taught me some humility in relationships.  From that humility has come peace in my heart though it is broken.  I am learning to be content where I am

Then I open my daily devotional.  Dr Stanley used Isaiah 55:1-2 for his passage.

 1 “Come, all you who are thirsty, 
   come to the waters; 
and you who have no money, 
   come, buy and eat! 
Come, buy wine and milk 
   without money and without cost. 
2 Why spend money on what is not bread, 
   and your labor on what does not satisfy? 
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, 
   and you will delight in the richest of fare.

Again my heart smiles that God put these two messages, written by different men from different back grounds at different times in front of me today.

This world will never make me whole.  Only God can do that.  I encourage anyone reading this to stop striving after what the world offers.  Stop striving after what you want.  Seek for what God has already given then you will be fulfilled.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment