Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Contentment at Christmas

Philippians 4:11-13 NIV
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

In the verse preceding this passage Paul was thanking the church at Philippe for the gifts they had sent and their renewed concern for his well being.  Paul goes on to explain that he has learned the secret to contentment in all circumstances.  That secret is relying on God for strength.  God is in ultimate control of our circumstances.

Every Christmas there is a drive for more, more, more.  Christmas morning after the presents are all unwrapped and the toys are no longer new, many will once again experience that drive for more.

Christmas time is CHRIST's mass.  It is not the exact date Jesus was born, but it is the the date the Church has chosen to celebrate and recognize that Jesus, the Son of God, came to earth.  And through his eventual death and resurrection, we might live with Him in heaven.

So when you open your gift(s) remember the one true gift that will not break for fade or go out of style.  The gift of Jesus.  And when you realize he is in control of everything that comes into your life, you too will learn to be content.

He is the Reason for the Season.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment