Tuesday, July 20, 2010

If not today, when?

This is the thought that went through my mind as I awoke 15 minutes before the alarm.

I've been procrastinating for the past 3 years with getting serious about losing weight. It's always, "I'll start in earnest next week.". Then next weeks issues arrive and I put it off again.

1 Cor 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own ? 20 For you have been bought with a price : therefore glorify God in your body.

My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. I have not been caring for his temple. "If not today, when?" So I got up and went to the gym. I feel good.

So I'm going about my day and I'm tempted to sin in ways that the Holy Spirit has been recently convicting me of. And once again, "If not today, when?". So I started asking myself "When will I start obeying the Lord in this area?".

I am reminded of 2 Corinthians 6:2 for He says, "AT THE ACCEPTABLE TIME I LISTENED TO YOU, AND ON THE DAY OF SALVATION I HELPED YOU." Behold, now is "THE ACCEPTABLE TIME," behold, now is "THE DAY OF SALVATION "

Some may say I'm taking the verse out of context, but my application for me today is that NOW is the time.

James 1:23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror ; 24 for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was. 25 But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does.

I know what God's word says. Time for me to DO it.

James 1:8 being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

I have lived this verse. While knowing what I should do and chosing not to do it, I have caused myself emmotional anguish that at times has caused me to doubt God and my salvation.

James 4:3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God ? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose : "He jealously desires the Spirit which He has made to dwell in us"? 6 But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, "GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE." 7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners ; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

I will follow these commands. I will resist the devil. I will draw near to God.

I claim these promises. The devil will flee. God will draw near.

No comments:

Post a Comment