Thursday, July 22, 2010

2 Cor 12:7-10

I did not sleep well last night. In fact I did not fall asleep until after 11:30pm. That is VERY LATE for me. This mornings devotional started with vs 9 of 2 Corinthians 12. "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." At first blush I thought it was appropriate since I am wiped out and can't seem to get out of my own way. Let's take a look at what the apostle Paul is saying in context.

7 Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself! 8 Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9 And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul had a weakness sent from God to keep him humble. God did not take it away because He wanted Paul to rely upon God's grace and His deliverance in His time.

And look at vs 10. Paul said "...I am well content...". Oh to be content with only the LORD. America has been blessed with so much this world has to give that we've bought into the "have it all" "have it NOW" mentality. When things go wrong we look for the quick fix.

God wants us to rely on him. Not on ourselves or on our jobs or on the government. These thing are not bad and they are gifts from God for our good, but when we focus only on the thing and not on the one who has provided we miss on opportunity to praise Him.

I pray that someone has found benefit in the lesson God has taught me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment