Thursday, September 16, 2010

Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

Luke 6:46-49

46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? 47 I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."

One of the dangers in growing up in the "church" is learning the stories at a young age and then later in life thinking, "Oh that's a 'kid's' story. I've known that for years." And then proceed to ignore the lesson. This story falls into that category. I would probably have passed it buy with limited attention except the first verse caught my eye.

Why do I call Him Lord, if I do not do as he says? It's a fair question that I will not answer here. You should ask yourself the same.

The parable teaches us two things.
  1. What we build our life on will have and effect on the quality of life.
  2. Storms are coming.
Is your life built on the Rock of Jesus Christ? When times get tough he will always be there and help you stand even when trouble is all around you.

















1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Pete... I needed to hear that tonight...

    dan knight

    ReplyDelete