Monday, September 20, 2010

Praying the Bible

I learned a long time ago that praying the Bible is a great way to pray. When we do, we are praying God's Word and not our own. Then we can confiendently claim his promises.

Today's message from John Piper reminded me of that truth. I'm only going to post the scripture he used and then quote him in the last paragraph. Read it through. If the Lord so leads, pray it through. I'm still trying to internalize this so I've got nothing to ad right now.

Psalm 119:36 "Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to gain."

Psalm 119:18 "Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law."

Ephesians 1:18 "That the eyes of your heart may be enlightened."

Psalm 86:11 "O Lord, I will walk in Your truth; unite my heart to fear Your name."

Psalm 90:14 "O satisfy us in the morning with Your loving kindness, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days."

Ephesians 3:16 "That God would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man."

Colossians 1:10 "That [we] will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord... bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God."

"To remember some of these prayers, I use an acronym - IOUS - almost every day in praying for those I love, asking God to give us an inclination to his Word and not to money or fame or power (Psalm 119:36), and to open our eyes to see wonderful things when we read his Word (Psalm 119:18), and to have hearts united in the fear of God rather than fragmented over a dozen concerns (Psalm 86:11), and to be satisfied in his steadfast love (Psalm 90:14)."
By John Piper. © Desiring God.
Website: www.desiringGod.org. Email: mail@desiringGod.org. Toll Free: 1.888.346.4700.

No comments:

Post a Comment