Thursday, September 2, 2010

Renewing your Mind

I've been thinking of late that I've been making poor decisions. Spiritually, emotionally, financially, physically and with my food intake. Just the other day I was thinking that it's time to "cut the crap" and do what I know to be right.

Several days ago my devotional from Charles Stanley was from Ephesians 4:20-24

20You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. 21Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Verse 22 speaks of your former way of life. The way we used to be. 2 Corinthians 5:16-18 say those in Christ are a "new creation" "the old has gone, the new has come!". I get frustrated when Christians say "I'm just a sinner saved by grace." No! Romans 5:7-9 says You WERE as sinner Christ died for you. We were "justified by his blood". If I am "just a sinner" then I still under wrath. Since I am a new creation, I am under grace.

That bring us to vs 23 being made new in the attitude of our minds. Immediately I am reminded of Romans 12:2 about "being transformed by the renewing of you mind". And next logical question is, how?

How did you learn about the world? You watched its TV. You read its books and listened to its music. You just through birth immersed yourself in the world. Transforming your mind is no different.

Start with the word of God Ps 119:11: Psalm 1: Romans yeah, the whole book. I used to think this book was too deep to understand. This book is the greatest book in my heart. It is when I scratched the surface of the truth held here that I began to stop making excuses and started moving forward for Christ. The first 11 chapters talk of all that Christ did for us when we were not worthy and the fact that there is nothing we can do to earn it. Mind boggling.

Prayer. Talk to God. You do not need long eloquent prayers. Just pour out your heart to him and the Holy Spirit will help Romans 8:26-27.

I hope the Lord has spoken to you as he has to me through this study. With his help I know that better decisions can be made.

2 comments:

  1. good stuff! You have made it to my google reader list! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All thanks go to God. He is teaching me and as my cup overflows I can't help but pass it on.

    ReplyDelete