Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Forgiveness

I was having a conversation with someone and explaining that I feel our relationship is a little onesided. I feel my forgiveness is being taken advantage of. The Holy Spirit, never wasting an opportunity to teach ME a lesson wispered, "What about how you treat me?"

The first verses to come to mind was Romans 6:1-3 1What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

The very thing I was speaking to this person about I do to Christ daily.

1 Timothy 1:15-16 15Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.

Christ has shown me MERCY and yet I was putting a quid pro quo status on a temporal relationship.

Mathew 6:9-15 9"This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. 11Give us today our daily bread. 12Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' 14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson! The level to which we forgive others is the standard to which God forgives us.

Think about "that person" you've been carrying a grudge against. Think about the family member with the quirk the makes you want to make their face look like a catchers mit. Think of that individual who has sinned against you for the 490th time for the same offense. You know that you were not supposed to count, but you did, because said individual does "it" CONSTANTLY.

If you are a follower of Christ, you must forgive...AGAIN...and AGAIN...and AGAIN...forever.

That's the lesson God had for me today. I hope you benefit from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment