Wednesday, January 9, 2013

James 5:1-6

Before we get into today's lesson I want to share this song.  Yesterday was not a good day.  I did not walk closely with the Lord.  Upon hitting the pillow last night I had a time of prayer.  I woke to this song on my head.  God is faithful even when I am not.



James 5:1-6 
Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.

Let's begin by making it clear that there is no sin in being rich.  The question lies in where you put your trust.  If you put all your trust in you money than you will be sorry.  Already here in the US and around the globe, money is losing value and people are going broke.  Trust in God, not in wealth.

Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty.

Do you owe someone money for services and you did not pay?  Have you worked and not been payed?  God knows.  If you owe, pay.  If you are owed, trust in God.  He knows your needs and he loves you.

You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.

I love my country, however the US and its allies are involved in a shooting war in many different countries.  Now I am not against war.  There are times when they are necessary and I realize that innocent people die in war.  My issue and conviction is that people are dying all over the world, our military and government are involved, and to be honest I care more about my next meal and my next movie.  Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but it is the first thing that came to mind when I read these verses.

Not exactly an uplifting study today.  Sometimes we need to be shaken.

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment