Thursday, January 17, 2013

1 Corinthians 1:10-17

1 Corinthians 1:10-17
10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Does this mean that we NEVER disagree? No.  The context of these quarrels was pride of who their teacher was, like Harvard vs Princeton.  Their educator became more important than the gospel and the cause of Christ was lost in the debate.  It's not who your teacher is because ultimately your teacher is merely a servant of God.  It's the message that is important.

13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Paul was aware of his place within the church and his calling.  He was an evangelist and he did his job to the glory of God and Jesus Christ.  He did not wish to be raised on a pedestal and glorified.  Which brings to mind the question of why do we serve in church?  Is it for God's glory or our own?
 
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment