Thursday, July 19, 2012

1 Peter 4:12-19


I awoke one hour before my alarm went off.  I decided to get up and shower early.  While in the shower I was thinking and the first half of 1 Peter 4:3 came to mind.  "For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do..."  I knew I had to NOT do the things I'd planned with the extra time and to DO my Bible study and blog.

1 Peter 4:12-19
12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

As I read these passages I think of America.  Our freedom of religion is fading.  How many "Christians" are allowing their light to fade as well?  How many will walk away as persecution comes to America?  How many consider it a joy to be persecuted for their faith?

  15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.


med·dle  (mdl)
intr.v. med·dled, med·dling, med·dles
1. To intrude into other people's affairs or business; interfere. 
2. To handle something idly or ignorantly; tamper.

meddler (mdlr, mdl-r) n.

I find it interesting that this would be included in a list with murder, thief or criminal.  However, as Christians we are about love, unity and community.  Meddling destroys this things and has no place within the church.

17 For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?   18 And,
“If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
    what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?”
19 So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

The movie Batman Begins has a scene where he quotes Rachel Dawes in order to let her know he is Bruce Wayne.  He says, "It's not who I am underneath, but what I *do* that defines me."  It's an awe inspiring scene and the look or realization on Rachel's face as he glides away is some great movie making.  And yet the philosophy is 100% wrong.

When we accept Christ as our savior a change happens inside.  Our spirit becomes alive.  We are now alive in Christ.  The Holy Spirit will then change our actions and attitude as we study and apply God's word.  What we do is going to be judged based on our knowledge and obedience to God.

It is my believe verse 18 speaks of the self righteous who attempt to attain heaven my works and the unsaved who never follow Christ.

So commit yourself to God's work for you.  Know that he is faithful and what you are going through is part of his plan and for good.  And you may never understand here on earth what that good is.

God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. Pete, Nice blog.... Just catching up on your blog. Hope all is well......

    ReplyDelete