Friday, July 13, 2012

1 Peter 4:1-11

1 Peter 4:1-11
Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.

I have seen this true in my own life.  When my separation first occurred,  followed by surgery (twice), followed by loss of job and culminating in the death of my sister from cancer I was done with sin.  The more I suffered here on earth the more I sought God and I was so "done" with sin.

  As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

What is the will of God for me today?  I know what my will is.  Does it mesh with God's will?

  For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

Has one of you parents or your boss said "Enough wasting time."?  Here the apostle Peter, under inspiration of the Holy Spirit is telling us we wasted enough time living like a pagan.  Yes our friends may ridicule us for leaving the party(ies), but one day they will be judged by God.  He will be the standard.
 
The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.

This world is going to end.  Don't be doing anything that will hinder you prayers.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
  
When a relationship is new, both partners tend to ignore those little quirks of the other because they are in love.  Love causes them to overlook or to "cover" the sin.  It's later in the relationship that these quirks start to cause problems.  Not because the other person is different, but one partners stopped loving as much.  We are not to tolerate sin, but we are to be quick to forgive.  Always.

Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.

My mom has this gift.  She welcomes everyone at anytime into her home.  But notice Peter is not saying those with the gift of hospitality do this.  He is telling ALL of us to offer it without grumbling.

10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Our lives are of God, for God and about God.  As I grow closer to God I am humbled that, though closer than last year, I am actually farther than I realized.  My life is to praise Him through Jesus Christ.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment