Tuesday, July 3, 2012

1 Peter 1:13-25

1 Peter 1:13-25

13 Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming.

Live your Christian life on purpose.  Alert, sober and setting your hope are all active participation in this walk with Christ.  If I am dwelling on God's grace and some young lady catches my eye, I'm more apt to view her through His eyes and not through my own lust..

14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”

There was a time when I had and excuse.  Not that it would save me from hell, but I could make the claim I did not know better.  Now as a result of grace I do know better.  The old life is in my past.  To do those things is rebellion.  I am to be holy, which means set apart for a special purpose.  One would not use a fine silver knife as a screw driver, so let's not use ourselves for purposes we are no longer intended.

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear.

God is not going to play favorites.  I know I do not have enough reverent fear in my life.  I admit to being a bit flippant with grace at times.

18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.

I have a very nice camera that I paid a decent sum for.  My kids were afraid to use it.  I explained to them that the camera is a tool.  A nice tool the needs to be used as intended and treated with care as I could not afford to replace it.  Now this camera is NOTHING when compared to the value of the blood of Christ and yet I treat the camera with greater value at times. 


Think on how great God's love for us is, that he would allow his Son to pay the price for our sin.  There is not enough wealth in all of creation to pay back that debt.

20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.

God knew me before he created the world.  He knew every sin I would commit and he knew Jesus would have to die to pay for my sin.  It is through Christ that I have access to God.

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.

When we obey God's word, accept Christ's payment for our sin we become pure.  Out of that comes a love that those outside the church cannot fathom.  We realize how we were and the love of God that paid the price for us and therefore loving others is a natural thing.

23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. 24 For,
“All people are like grass,
    and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
25     but the word of the Lord endures forever.”
And this is the word that was preached to you.

People perish, but those who born again, by the word of God will not perish.  

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment