Tuesday, May 21, 2013

2 Corinthians 11:16-21a

2 Corinthians 11:16-21a

New International Version (NIV)
16 I repeat: Let no one take me for a fool. But if you do, then tolerate me just as you would a fool, so that I may do a little boasting. 17 In this self-confident boasting I am not talking as the Lord would, but as a fool. 18 Since many are boasting in the way the world does, I too will boast. 19 You gladly put up with fools since you are so wise! 20 In fact, you even put up with anyone who enslaves you or exploits you or takes advantage of you or puts on airs or slaps you in the face. 21 To my shame I admit that we were too weak for that!
  
In response to the false teachers calling his authority into question, Paul begins to respond in a such a sarcastic manner it would be humorous if the truth were not so sad.  Verse 19 and 20 says it all.  In exchange for a new "flashy" preacher they were exchanging the freedom of the Gospel Paul preached for bondage and being robbed.  Verse 21 is VERY sarcastic.

My first thought for application is our current political mess.  With all the lies and abuse of power and both sides of our political system fighting each other while the country dies.  I could make that application especially since the Jewish nation is a Theocracy (government ruled by religion) the spiritual leaders had more power than the political leaders.

However there is a deeper application.  The world, the flesh and the devil.  How often I am a fool and fall into slavery to the sin I once lived in.  The gospel clearly tells me I am FREE from sin and yet I put up even after it slaps me in the face time and time again.

The cycle needs to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment