Friday, April 12, 2013

2 Corinthians 5:1-10

2 Corinthians 5:1-10

New International Version (NIV)
For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

The worst thing that can be done to me is the killing of this body.  In light of eternity, that is not a bad thing.  I have a new body the is promised to me one that is not broken.  I have several things wrong with this body and every year I am reminded more and more that it will not last.

The Holy Spirit has been given to me as proof that God will  do as he promised.  The new body will make this mortal life seem so trivial.  "...swallowed up by life", gives me the image that the new body will feel like I am living for the very first time.

Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. For we live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.

Just the other day I was thinking about all the distractions I have available the take my attention away from the Lord.  My life is supposed to be pleasing the Lord.  I should be doing my work diligently, but longing to be with my Savior.

10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

This judgement seat is NOT about salvation.  It is about what I did with the opportunities God has provided for me to serve him.  Though I will not be thrown into hell for any sin I've committed as those were paid for my Jesus Christ, there will be loss for those times that I knew to do right and chose to do wrong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment