Monday, February 25, 2013

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

1 Corinthians 9:24-27
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

How providential that this is the passage for today.  I type this at 4:07 am because this is the day that I stop pretending that I can lose weight without the gym.  I plan to go there right after I finish this blog.
To accomplish my goal, I must "strike a blow to my body and make it my slave".  I want to crawl back into bed.  But, I'm not going to.

There is yet another discipline here.  We must not follow our bodies desires for anything that would disqualify us from sharing the gospel.  There are cravings within me that can only be truly met as God intended.  Shortcuts will feel good, but only for very brief time and then the emptiness will return followed by the conviction of disobedience.  Thank God we have the promise of forgiveness in 1 John 1:9.  Our goal though, is avoid the things that hinder our testimony for God.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment