Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hebrews 3:7-19

Hebrews 3:7-19
So, as the Holy Spirit says:
“Today, if you hear his voice,
    do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion,
    during the time of testing in the wilderness,
where your ancestors tested and tried me,
    though for forty years they saw what I did.
10 That is why I was angry with that generation;
    I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray,
    and they have not known my ways.’
11 So I declared on oath in my anger,
    ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ”

The Israelites were stubborn and despite all they'd seen they never gave their all to the Lord.  Yet here I sit and I know all that I have seen and I too don't give my all to the Lord.  Far too often I choose sin over my walk with God.

12 See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end. 15 As has just been said:
“Today, if you hear his voice,
    do not harden your hearts
    as you did in the rebellion.”

Verse 13 reminds me of a comment from Pastor Mark Driscoll.  "Your still breathing.  There is still hope.".  We have today.  Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not promised, but if we are alive, we have a choice.  Today I wanted to harden my heart, skip the blog and go right Netflix.  I made the choice not to harden my heart.  I made the right choice and it was proven so by the text provided by our omniscient God.

16 Who were they who heard and rebelled? Were they not all those Moses led out of Egypt? 17 And with whom was he angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies perished in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed? 19 So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Sometimes I look at the way I act and measure it against what I believe.  Then I wonder if I really believe what I claim to believe.  I have seen God do incredible things in my life.  I know he has forgiven me.  I know sin is an abomination to God.  Yet there are days when I chose it over God.

Thank you God for sending Jesus to pay the penalty for my sin.  Thank you for grace so that I can be forgiven.  I desire to enter your rest Lord.  I can only do so through belief.  God the story in Mark 9 where man brought his son to Jesus to have the unclean spirit removed. Jesus said, “Everything is possible for one who believes.”.  And the father's responce is the same as mine today God.  “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers and sisters. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment