Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Romans 5:1-5

Romans 5:1-5 NIV
1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. 

We stand in grace.  Think about that for a minute.  There is an acrostic God's Righteous At Christ's Expense that explains grace.  We boast in that and not in ourselves.

3 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

These verses never made sense to me till 2011.  Last year in March I was asked to leave home as my wife had filed for divorce.  In one sweep I lost my home and family.  In April of last year I had surgery and since they made a mistake they had to do it a second time.  In October I lost my job that I'd had for 19 years.  Both of my parents were hospitalized for emergencies.  My big sister was diagnosed with cancer.  All of these things made me want to forget 2011.  But then the Holy Spirit showed me all that I had learned through all of that pain.  He showed me how deep my faith had become.  I was reminded that my daughter listened to the Spirit's call and was Baptized even though her life had fallen apart.

I understand joy in suffering.  I understand what Paul meant when he said I am content in all circumstances.
Because I have persevered and allowed God to change my character, I have a hope in me that was not there in Jan of 2011.

God Bless.

1 comment:

  1. This past year was also the most painful of my life, but I am thankful for the growth and change that has occured. I wish I grew thru the good times but sadly it seems I grow more thru pain. Yet I remember that Jesus knows my sorrow and grieves with me and instead of focusing on the things of this earth I know look forward to the joy and hope of heaven!

    ReplyDelete