Monday, January 9, 2012

Romans 2:12-16

Romans 2:12-16 NIV
 12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 

Paul, a Jew, was writing the a Gentile audience.  Paul had been raised under the law and without Christ would be judged by that law.  To break only one law made them guilty of it all.  The Romans did not have the law, but they too would not be excused.

13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

Only one man ever obeyed the entire law and that is Jesus.

 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 

There are good people out there that are on their way to hell.  They do good things and they help people.  They obey the law and pay their taxes.  But these are works and not enough.

16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Even as I paste this verse in my blog I think about what's going on in my head and the secrets I keep.  God knows about them and a day is coming that those will be judged.  I'm glad that I have accepted Christ's forgiveness so that my secrets will not condemn me.  Paul will discuss this in Romans 8.  I won't link to it now, but you can look it up if you like.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment