Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Servanthood. What are your motives?

Philipians 2:3-4

3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

This verse resides on my desk top. I put it there as a reminder to think of others as better than me. All too often I put ME on the throne of importance at the expense of relationships within my family.

This morning I reread the verses. The selfish ambition part is what struck me today. What are my motives. Is my humility real or just an act to save face infront of family, friends and church? My prayer is that it's real. My hope is the Holy Spirit will change me and teach me to love my family as I should.

After all this goes through my head, I read the following scripture for today's Bible study.

John 13:3-15 I encourage you to read the entire passage, but I only want to concentrate on the first three verses.

3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

Verse 3: Jesus knew who he was. There was no question in His mind about his position with the disciples.

Verse 4: "so he got up" This tells me what is to follow is BECAUSE of who He is.

Verse 5: He washed and dryed their feet. In Bible times people wore sandles so feet got dirty fast in Isreal. Hosts would provide guests with water to wash or a servant of the house would wash the guest's feet. This was a menial task done by the lowest in the home.

Jesus. Master. Teacher. Rabbi. Son of God. Washed the disciple's feet to teach them that leaders must be servants. We as Fathers and Husbands are to serve our families. Not so we can get what we want, but to lead by Jesus' example.

I hope that someone will benefit from what the Lord is teaching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment