Thursday, December 30, 2010

He did evil because he had not set his heart on seeking the LORD.

2 Chronicles 12:12-14 (New International Version, ©2010)

12 Because Rehoboam humbled himself, the LORD’s anger turned from him, and he was not totally destroyed. Indeed, there was some good in Judah.
13 King Rehoboam established himself firmly in Jerusalem and continued as king. He was forty-one years old when he became king, and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city the LORD had chosen out of all the tribes of Israel in which to put his Name. His mother’s name was Naamah; she was an Ammonite. 14 He did evil because he had not set his heart on seeking the LORD.

This morning I was listening to the Bible on my ipod. Verse 14 struck me. Rehoboam did evil because he did not set his "heart on seeking the LORD". Wow! I have not set my heart on seeking the LORD. Sure I go to church, I give money, I teach Pioneer Club and I try to be a good person with varying degrees of success. However I don't SEEK the LORD that often. He get bits and pieces, here and there, when and if I have time or motivation.

In my meditation on this I'm reminded of Deut. 6:4-6, which is repeated by Jesus himself in Mathew 22:36-38 where he ads this is the GREATEST commandment. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

I take heart in verse 12 because when Rehoboam humbled himself, God was able to use him for good. 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Confession means to agree with God that you have sinned. Admit you have broke His standard. You now repent and decide to turn from it. God will forgive.

I hope that someone may benefit from the lesson God taught me today from his Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment