Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Focus on God, not your situation.

I was wondering what or if I was going to blog today. Somedays the ideas come fast and furious and somedays I have nothing to say. There I even days I have something I should say, but I am too wrapped up in myself to actually type them out.

Today's personal Bible study dealt with discouragement. I won't reproduce the devotional here this time. I only wish to point out the first half of step 7 of his "nine specific steps" in overcoming discouragement.

"7. Focus on God, not your situation. " - Dr Charles Stanley

The first thing the popped into my brain when I read this was Peter walking on water when Jesus called him. Let's look at the text.

22 Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He sent the crowds away. 23 After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray ; and when it was evening, He was there alone. 24 But the boat was already a long distance from the land, battered by the waves ; for the wind was contrary. 25 And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. 26 When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost !" And they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid." 28 Peter said to Him, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water." 29 And He said, "Come !" And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!" 31 Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and said to him, "You of little faith, why did you doubt ?"

So Peter called out to Jesus and was told to, "Come!", and he did. Peter walked on water toward Jesus. Let's give him a little credit here. He, a fisherman familiar with the sea, stepped out of the boat. Not very smart on human terms, but when done in obedience to Christ it was the ONLY thing to do.

Then Peter looked around him at the storm he started to sink. Are the storms in your life right now? Have you taken your eyes off the Savior and started worrying about the world around you? Has anxiety replaced the peace you had when you trusted God?

Cry out to Jesus. He's still there, right where He was when you took your eyes off Him. When Peter cried out Jesus reached out his hand and saved him. He will do the same for you.

How strong is your faith? Call out to the Jesus today.

2 comments:

  1. true, but easier said than done... kinda hard to see out of the flames when you are burning...

    thanks,
    dan

    ReplyDelete