Wednesday, March 27, 2013

1 Corinthians 16

1 Corinthians 16
Now about the collection for the Lord’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem. If it seems advisable for me to go also, they will accompany me.

When I get paid, I've been writing a check to give to the church.  It's the first thing I do.  Sometimes I struggle with giving because my income is so limited and there is so much I want to do with "my" money.  The percentage I give is between God and I, however I know that God knows why I hold back sometimes.  He is not fooled.

I also note that this money seems to be a special collection.  Over and above the normal giving because this is money to help others.  The phrase "men you approve" reminds me to be careful with whom I entrust my money.  Many charities today take vast chunks of every dollar given for "administration".


After I go through Macedonia, I will come to you—for I will be going through Macedonia. Perhaps I will stay with you for a while, or even spend the winter, so that you can help me on my journey, wherever I go. For I do not want to see you now and make only a passing visit; I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. But I will stay on at Ephesus until Pentecost, because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me.

Sometimes I forget that much of the Bible is a collection of letters and not just an instruction manual.  I get to the "personal stuff" and don't think there is much I can glean from it.  Yet here we see Paul really yearning to see the people in Corinth and he does want it to be a quick visit.  He wants to spend time with them.  He was willing to leave it to God's will.

I think about what I do.  If I wanted to go visit my family in TN, I'd give no thought to what God wanted.  I'd get on a plane and go.  I'll admit I rarely consult God with my plans.

10 When Timothy comes, see to it that he has nothing to fear while he is with you, for he is carrying on the work of the Lord, just as I am. 11 No one, then, should treat him with contempt. Send him on his way in peace so that he may return to me. I am expecting him along with the brothers.

I'm thinking of  1Tim 4:12 where Timothy is encouraged to not let anyone look down on him because of his youth.  Anyone preaching God's word should be treated with respect.

12 Now about our brother Apollos: I strongly urged him to go to you with the brothers. He was quite unwilling to go now, but he will go when he has the opportunity.
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

Verses 13 and 14 are coming with me today.  I want to keep my guard up for the attacks of the devil, this world and my own fleshly desires.  I want to stand in my faith and cling to what I know is right.  I want to have courage in my faith.  Some times I'm just a wuss.  I want to be motivated by love.

15 You know that the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the Lord’s people. I urge you, brothers and sisters, 16 to submit to such people and to everyone who joins in the work and labors at it. 17 I was glad when Stephanas, Fortunatus and Achaicus arrived, because they have supplied what was lacking from you. 18 For they refreshed my spirit and yours also. Such men deserve recognition.

Here Paul is recognizing those who are doing it right.  I'm good at correcting and instructing, now I want to work on encouraging and acknowledging those who are doing it right.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment