Wednesday, March 6, 2013

1 Corinthians 13

1 Corinthians 13
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Paul is showing the "most excellent way".  It does not matter what you seek or achieve if your motive is not one of love.  In God's eyes you have nothing.
 
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

After reading the paragraph above, how good are you at love?  Love does carry some of those romantic feelings that is so pushed in our society, but true love, Godly love, is a choice.  Nothing the loved does prevents you from loving them.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Remember that Paul just told us in the previous chapter to eagerly seek the greater gifts. Here he tells us that love is greater and will out last them all.

  For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Things here on earth are not as clear as the will be in heaven.  In heaven our bodies will be complete.  Now we need to grow up.  Put away childish thing and be an adult.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

When all is said and done all we have left is our faith in God, our hope in Christ as our Savior and love.  Love is the greatest of them all.  We must remember to love the unlovable and to make sure our motive for what we seek is love.

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment