Thursday, April 5, 2012

Philippians 4:10-23

Philippians 4:10-23 NIV
 10 I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

I never thought that I would actually experience Paul's words here.  I was, and still can be, very materialistic.  However with all that I've lost in the last 12 plus months I've learned to be content.  I've developed a "less is more" mentality and I am at peace.

Beyond the material the is the emotional.  The dream of living happily ever after with my wife and best friend is over.  It's still possible that God will work in her heart and we can reconcile, but I am content with what God has for me right now. 

 14 Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15 Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16 for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. 17 Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. 18 I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

When my sister died, the church provided prayer, which is ALWAYS wanted and needed, but they also provided cash.  Because of their gifts and the gifts of others, the flights out west and back were paid for with no out-of-pocket expense.  In fact the giving was so great financially I had MORE than I needed and I was able to buy diner for everyone while out there.  

Notice that Paul says thank you in a letter.  I think that is important and I think it has been lost on society today.  If some one help you out, write them a thank you.  No phone calls.  No e-mail.  A hand written thank you note.

 20 To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen

To say "amen" means to agree with something.   To verse 20 I too say AMEN.

 21 Greet all God’s people in Christ Jesus. The brothers and sisters who are with me send greetings. 22 All God’s people here send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar’s household.   

My normal benediction is God Bless.  This time I will let Paul have the final words.

23 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment